Matt Morris, an entrepreneur and trainer I recently found on YouTube has an interesting video available to all his subscribers. He shares how you can read a book for maximum potential, so it doesn’t end up being wasted space in your brain that just saunters but doesn’t actually flourish.
Now, I know I know, how hard is it to read?! You’d think this article was directed towards 5 year olds. Rest assured, anyone who has ever felt like they read a book and will never get any value from that read, specifically because they don’t remember what it was about and did not take thorough notes..,this video is for you.
Broken down for you, here is your tools & steps for getting maximum potential from your reading:
1) The book
2) A journal/notebook
3) A pen
4) A highlighter
1) Read through the book and highlight (in the book) your favorite parts
2) Re-write the highlighted parts in your journal
3) Read through your notes after you finish it
4) Highlight the most important notes
5) Turn to those chunks of wisdom whenever you need them
This not only stocks up information that you can turn to at a later time, but it also ingrains the principles in your head by writing them down & highlighting them.
Photo Cred: FCSok.org